One of the biggest fears for wig wearers is that people will notice they are wearing a wig, and the actual donning of the wig may seem daunting. Is it ready to wear straight from the packaging? Will it fit my head shape? How do you make sure it doesn’t slip? With our step by step instructions to help affix your wig, you can look fantastic AND feel completely secure.
1. Conduct a skin test.
Determine whether you have any sensitivity to your adhesive. Apply a small amount to a sensitive part of your skin, i.e. inside your elbow or behind your ear. Leave it there for about 15 minutes, then remove. If there is any irritation or redness do not use that adhesive and select a different type or brand. If there is no irritation, proceed.
2. Flatten your hair to your head.
If you have little or no hair, you will want to use a wig liner to help keep your wig secure.
If you have short hair, brush it back away from your face.
If you have longer hair, curl small, even sections of your hair and pin them flat to your head. Be sure to distribute the pin curls evenly to avoid bumps and bulges under your wig.
3. Prepare your skin for the wig.
Wash your forehead, paying close attention to the hairline with a gentle cleanser. Blot dry. Use a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad and wipe along hairline to remove excess oil. If your skin is sensitive, apply a scalp-protecting serum to the area after the rubbing alcohol. Allow both to dry before continuing.
4. Fit the wig. (For brand new wigs, follow step 4 / If not a new wig, proceed to Step 5)
To fit the wig, hold the wig close to the label, tilt your head slightly forward, place your wig to your forehead, and in a front to back motion slip the wig on as you would a bathing cap. Tilt head upright and push the front of the wig back until it aligns with your natural hairline. Tuck in any stray hairs. If you feel pressure around your scalp, the wig is too tight. If, when you move your head the wig moves independently, the wig is too loose. Use the adjustable Velcro straps inside the wig to loosen or tighten as needed.
5. Apply wig tape or glue.
There are two types of adhesive you can use to secure a lace front wig to your head; tape or glue. We recommend trying both methods and deciding which you prefer.
- Put double stick tape on forehead starting mid-forehead and working out. Lay strips side by side until they cover most of your hairline.
- Apply glue along hairline making sure it’s evenly spread, then let dry for approximately 3 minutes.
- Place wig on head, making sure wig matches your hairline.
- Check both ear tabs for alignment
- Using fingertips, smooth wig over tape or glue, working from center out to your ears.
- Style the wig. Human hair wigs may be styled with regular brushes and hot styling tools. Synthetic wigs may be styled with wide-toothed combs or wig brushes.
Lace front wigs are dynamic, allowing the wearer to alter their hairstyle just like they would with their real hair. How do you wear a lace front wig? Just about any way you want. Explore The Wig Company’s collection of lace front wigs, styling tips and styling tools and rediscover the freedom of choice.